Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Lessons from Teaching Vocabulary

Lesson Plan


I was tasked with crafting a lesson with the context of conveying vocabulary words that would be critical to my students' understanding of my lesson plan.  I analyzed my unit and selected the key words that I believed would be either confusing or foriegn to my students.  I recorded the teaching of my Vocabulary lesson to my peers as a way to reflect upon my performance.  I believe that I achieved the following Performance Criterion in my reflection:

Performance Criterion 3.1.  Active Engagement.  Candidates design learning environements that support individual learning marked by active engagement.

Performace Criterion 4.1: Communicate Central Concepts.  Candidates accurately communicate central concepts of the discipline.

Performance Criterion 8.1: Accessibility to the Discipline. Candidates use a variety of instructional strategies to make the discipline accessible for diverse learners.


I have learned that analyzing a proposed lesson plan for vocabulary words to teach your students can be surprisingly difficult.  I found it somewhat strenuous to limit the number of words that I wanted to elaborate upon.  Upon review by my peers and my critique of my video, I believe that I should narrow my focus to a more minute number of words for future lessons.  I incorporated the vocabulary into sentences and images to help with comprehension of the words, which I believe is a benifical practice that I will continue to use.  I also need to re-evaluate my approach to teaching, as I feel I have a tendency to resort back to lecturing when I become flustered.

I was pleased with both the scope and execution of my assessment.  I had planned for an interactive quiz at first, but in the moment I adjusted one of my learning opportunities to become my assessment.  The assessment was interactive and it allowed students to see what the summary of the upcoming unit lesson, as well as focused on the new vocabulary words.  The use of the images that accompanied my vocabulary seemed to make it more memorable to my peers.  Overall, I believe that I was successful in teaching my vocabulary lesson as it seemed that it retained with my peers.

Within in my group of Jenna, Meg F., and Meg A, they all had very strong lessons which I was able to draw very good ideas and inspirations from.  They each had a unique experience and had a focus to their lessons.  I must refine my approach and include more student involvement throughout the lesson, not just for the assessment.  I had a lot of information in my lesson, which I need to use as an opportunity to inject conversation or activities.  Finally, I need to perhaps focus on the overall arching objective of the lesson, rather than the historical information, when crafting future vocabulary lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment